Monday, August 06, 2018

When half baked ideas need more parsnips

Saturday morning I took my first Uber ever to get me to the airport; this was at about 3h41. I got to the airport with plenty of time to check my bag, pass through security and wait at the gate for a departure to YYZ that was scheduled to leave at 5h30 and actually left at 5h38.

At YYZ I had to pass through security again and immigration as my next flight was to IND. In security they asked me to power up my laptop as a test to verify it is actually a laptop. In immigration the official I met with seemed keen to move people through as he did not ask very many questions.

I arrived in Indianapolis without a problem and while waiting for the shuttle bus to take me from the airport to the city I overheard some people talk about a shuttle that went from the airport to Bloomington. I had not found any information about that when I booked my travel.

While I was waiting this young guy engaged me in conversation; he had also come from Canada and he was meeting a friend in Indy and the two of them were going on a cycling trip. I forget their destination, but he said it was about 1000km spread out over ten days.

I got on the shuttle into Indy and chatted with the driver as I was the only passenger. He was an Indy native and I asked him about what were some common issues in his city; he expressed that there were lots of homeless people as one of the things, and a little later on he said that, with respect to these homeless people, they should just find work and get out of their situation; he figures they're just lazy. I didn't think it would serve a purpose to argue with him about being more compassionate.

I walked from where he dropped me off to the Greyhound/Amtrack station where I would take a bus to Bloomington. I had to wait about an hour there because of the bus schedule. Something else happened here. As we were getting closer to the time to board the bus there was not a lot of clarity as to who should go where to catch which bus. There was one employee circulating, answering questions, and he was at that moment engaged with a customer who apparently had lots of questions. A lady walks up next to me and apparently very much needs her questions answered; so she calls out to the employee 'excuse me', even though he is still engaged with the customer. The lady calls out a little louder 'excuse me!' and still the employee did not acknowledge her. She huffed and puffed, sighed, complained about the service and went on like this. The employee finished with his customer and left our present area to go attend to another bus that had just arrived; this lady get even more upset.

I found out she was going to Louisville, the final destination of the bus I was going on; and we all got on that bus without a problem and it left just two minutes after its scheduled departure, well within a margin.

It serves no purpose to get upset and anxious. If the employee is engaged with another customer; simply wait until he is done.

The bus ride was mostly painless. I arrived in Bloomington and very much gratefully, the AirBNB host picked me up at the bus station and drove me to the apartment I had rented. It would only have been an eleven minute walk, but pushing/pulling my checked back in the 30c heat would not have been particularly pleasant.

The apartment is really nice; this is where I stayed: https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/13363160

Soon after I checked in I got in touch with A and we spend the rest of the day together having long conversations, eating out at Lennie's, going for a walk on the IUB campus.

Yesterday I had brunch with K, then we went on a few errands and next to McCormick's Creek State Park. There we went on a few different paths through the forest, down some long staircases to get to a valley floor, and then up long staircases again. This state park has an Inn, which is rather out of the ordinary, but we wandered in and checked things out then sat outside for a little while.

We ate at a resto called Scholars which I can't seem to find online; I had a chicken burger, it was pretty good, though very messy. Finally we drove back into Bloomington and went for an extended walk on the IUB campus.

Yesterday was a pretty active day; though I very much enjoyed both days to be able to connect with these two friends with whom I have stayed in touch just via email over the last few years.

I have the time now to go for a run, so this is what I will do.

No comments: