Tuesday, March 17, 2020

image

I went to my local grocery store last night at 20h (they are open from 8h-22h), I went later in the evening because I knew that at around 17h-19h it would be very busy. There was a lot of evidence in the store that it was.

The bread has been cleared out.


Ground beef is all gone.

Pasta is mostly gone.

Very little rice left.

Toilet Paper

Paper towels

Facial Tissues

No eggs

Soup cans are more than half gone

Cans of diced, crushed and whole tomatoes, wiped out

Cans of beans and bags of dried beans, mostly gone

Flour, sugar, gone

I spoke to the cashier as what I was buying was being processed, and she said that yes; it had been really crazy.

I do not understand the hoarding; there aren't any jurisdictions globally where basic grocery stores have been locked down; these, as well as pharmacies, are the only businesses that have been permitted to stay open. This would also mean that the supply chain that brings in all of the stock for both grocery stores and pharmacies ought to still be fully operational.

Of all of the empty shelves listed above, I already have those items in my apartment. Of them, it is eggs that I would run out of first; but for me and my family, this isn't a major setback. If I don't have eggs for a week or two, that's fine, and if I happen to go grocery shopping and notice that there are eggs on that day, I'll get one dozen; not three or four.

1 comment:

Mez said...

I do not understand the hoarding either.

I hope the situation at your local grocers become better since March 17.