Monday, October 12, 2020

image

 I went for a roughly 12km walk this morning and decided to take some photographs along the way.

I am grateful that along Donegani there is this long path, it is intended for both cyclists and for walkers. Extremely rarely is it so busy that having both cyclists and walkers on this same path poses a problem.

 

From about the same position I took this photo just to show how the sky was such a clear, vivid blue. In all directions there wasn't a single cloud to see.

Past Cedar Park train station the path goes through a golf course and so there is thick foliage on either side of the path. Just past that this two-sided-foliage part, there are these two massive trees, the next two photos focus in on one of them.


I reached Beaconsfield Train Station and took these steps down to boul St-Charles


Though I didn't stop there, this McDo has been in this location since likely before I was born; I remember having gone there when I was pre-teen.

At the bottom of St-Charles I reached the water - Lac St. Louis.

There happened to be some Canada Geese not far from shore at this spot (click the image to get the big version so you can see them).


Then I passed in to Pointe-Claire village and the subsequent photo is of The Pioneer, which is destined for demolition to be replaced with a condos. Back when it was open as The Pioneer, a pub that also had music performances, I had never gone. Prior to being The Pioneer, it was a hotel when this building was first built. There was a movement (unsuccessful) to save this building and put it to a new use.



A little further along, after The Pioneer, was Stewart Hall, a cultural center.It is a little difficult to make out, behind all of the trees. By clicking on the image to get the bigger version you can make out the main front door of it.

A little after The Pioneer I ended up walking behind a lady who kept a pace that was ever so slightly less than mine. By stopping to take a photo, here and there, I managed to always stay behind her. Though she likely only had the barest peripheral knowledge of my existence, I enjoyed the communal feeling I felt of us walking together for the 45-60 minutes that we did.

With only one sailboat left, there are perhaps 25 mooring balls at this particular spot, called the Pointe-Claire Sailing Club. I occasionally think about someday having my own sailboat moored here for a season or two. That I don't currently own one, nor have a place to store it during the off season poses rather of a hindrance.

 

Near the Valois train station exit from the Lakeshore road a handful of Inukshuk like statues have been placed.


At the train station end of the tunnel, an artist was hired to paint the inside and outside of the tunnel entrance. I like living at 45 north, it is half way between the equator and the pole. Being 73 west is about average, I'd say.


Walking out of the station there is a path that goes by, among other things, the Valois pool, where my three kids have taken swim lessons. It has been closed for the winter, explaining the condition it is in in the photo.


Walking past the pool, past the junior school my kids went to (grade k-3) we get to a football/soccer field used by the nearby highschool and others. In the background is the church I go to.


The next three photos are from Sunnyside park, the first is the upper part of it, the second is of a massive tree that is at the top of the hill that is the third photo.




At the end of that path there is only about 200m more and then I'm back at my apartment. It took about two hours 20 minutes to walk this trek, I really enjoyed it and may do it again later this fall.

No comments: