Friday, September 24, 2021

up North, where the sunken

So I'm an Alorican.

I support Best Buy Canada e-commerce who is at the moment also taking all phone calls made to all stores within Canada in addition to any calls made by way of the e-commerce site.

I found out today that my shift is 8-16h30 Thursday to Monday. Tuesday and Wednesday will become my weekend with this permanent weekly shift. What I will miss most about this removal of the standard weekend is my weekly chat with a fellow parishioner in advance of mass Sunday morning. Anything else weekend related is not a big deal.

Of course, I will have the kids at home on the alternating weekends I have them and they will need to be quiet while I am working. But ending at 16h30 means that I can spend good time with them in the evenings. Also, on the weekdays, they are only getting home from school at around 16h30, so their return home coincides with me ending my shift.

I am a bilingual agent and will be serving anyone who calls the 800 number, but as I am logged in as a bilingual agent, I will most likely get the French speaking customers from here in Quebec. My French language speaking is rusty, but I am confident it will improve as each day passes. What is fortunate is that our call tracking system is all to be done in English, so I won't need to worry about having to write anything in French.

I am still in training now, and my first day of being on the call line looks to be Saturday, October 9th. However, the subsequent Sunday and Monday I will have off due to the Thanksgiving holiday, and then I am off Tuesday and Wednesday, and only then will I begin my first full week on Thursday.

Overtime will be available, especially about here on in until and a little after Christmas. There is also extra pay for working holidays, which will be a fairly common thing. I'll only get 10 vacation days and only after having worked a full year, so that's not so great. I also get 3 personal days per year that expire if unused. I will be sure to use them. I am hoping to earn roughly 8-10k extra on an annual basis of overtime. We'll see how that goes.

No comments: