Tuesday, March 22, 2022

When torpedoes smell like

If you read this post about my latest plasma donation I can safely tell you that I made my 119th donation this morning using my left arm and it went without a hitch.

If you hadn't read that post, the donation still went well.

I failed to notice that there was an octopus in a large glass container filled with whatever quality of water the octopus needed on the bus I took to get home until I went to disembark and found her sitting in her glass container in one of the rear seats. I wonder how the octopus decides which tentacle is to be used to flag the driver for her stop.

My table tennis partner had gone away for an 18 day period and returns the day after tomorrow. He will have arrived from India, so I will wait until the weekend or perhaps early next week before I see if he is up to playing again. He has to cross time-zones equaling 9.5 hours; that kind of jet lag isn't so easy to deal with.

On the job front, I have preliminary recruiter phone calls today at noon and at 13h30, another one possibly tomorrow which hasn't been fixed yet, and one on next Tuesday. I've had a hiring manager interview at one job last Friday and was told I ought to hear early this week if they have decided to make me an offer. As of the writing of this sentence I have not heard yet.

I suppose I would be remiss if I did not mention, at least once, for the purposes of being able to come back to this blog entry at some time in the distant future, talk about Vlad Putin having his large army invade Ukraine. On February 24th, after months of building up forces and equipment on all of the Russian and Belarussian sides of Ukraine, the invasion began with much ground based shelling and air based shelling. Early on there were satellite images of a many km long road of stopped Russian tanks and armoured vehicles; explained by faulty supply lines where the ones in front ran out of fuel and the ones in the middle and back eventually did also. More recent events include the bombing of many civilians and their infrastructure, the sieging and willful destruction of Mariupol, a seaside important port city and urban warfare in places like Mariupol, Kiev and other places. Many pundits have indicated that Putin expected a very quick occupation with little to no resistance and with a Russia-friendly puppet put into leadership. This did not happen and Ukrainian army as well as men who remained behind as their families have fled are putting up a strong resistance even if vastly outnumbered and outgunned. The last thing I'll talk about is the refugee situation, with trains running nonstop from Ukraine to all of the Western European countries and Poland in particular. As at last count, over 3,000,000 have fled. Here in Canada we are receiving some of the refugees but at a trickle at the moment as the rigmarole they have to go through for the purposes of 'security' creates a bottleneck. There is more I could write about this, but I'll just list a few of the topics:

  • Ukraine president asks for a no-fly zone over the country
  • NATO refuses to protect the no-fly zone for fear of dire escalation
  • Putin raises false flag that Ukraine is developing bio warfare; which may mean Putin will have his army use bio warfare
  • Putin saber-rattled his use of nuclear weaponry should NATO forces get involved
After that heavy part of the post I'll return to yet another instance of SLI that happened earlier this week as I walked home from the bus late at night and one of the parking lot lights went off as I passed beneath it.

I'll end this post to say that the number of pairs of socks in my regular rotation is a lower number compared to the number of underwear articles that are in my regular rotation.

In other news, abstract realism was used to lengthen the shorted short such that the highest low would be the least generous of the selfish. Upon writing the last word of the previous sentence the author was stuck by the word either being sel-fish; something about a fish, or self-ish, something about the self.

If you've read this far in this post, you will have read this far.

No comments: