Tuesday, September 06, 2022

Labour or Labor

Yesterday was Labour Day weekend here in Canada while also being Labor Day weekend in the United States. I did nothing special to take advantage of the long weekend.

I have been watching very closely and very much the US Open where I saw Frances Tiafoe beat Rafael Nadal yesterday. Today and tomorrow are the quarter finals. Of the matches today, the one I want most to see is between Coco Gauff and Caroline Garcia. The former an up and coming American who is young (18yo) and looks to be a top performer in the future, the latter a French woman who is playing exceptionally well over the last few months.

I read 'The Zero Stone' by Andre Norton over the weekend. I quite enjoyed it. A science fiction novel, though it was written in 1968; it still is readable in today's age. Now I am about two sevenths of the way through 'Terror' by Frederic Pohl and so far so good. I may have mentioned this before - I go to visit with my parents every other week and when at their house I have been taking books. The idea is to help them declutter their house for their eventual leaving of the house. As a result I have a stack of books that I am going through. Well before the internet and mobile devices, my father would buy a science fiction book to read on his train ride to/from work and once done, buy another. So far I have read 51 of these books, have 53 in a stack here that I have not yet read and I believe I have less then half of what was all of the books I'll be getting.

My work schedule for the month of September has been published; as it is a support job where specific coverage is needed at specific times, my team has to adhere to the schedule to which we are assigned. On Monday, Tuesday and Thursday I work 9h-17h. On Wednesday 9h30-17h30 and on Friday 10h-18h. Given this late start on Fridays I am thinking of making a weekly visit to the Swiss Vienna Pastry shop to see about getting perhaps a few croissants or other breads and or treats to enjoy that morning and over the weekend. The shop opens at 9h and I easily have the time to walk there and back to be home in time for my start at 10h.

I have attended quite a number of sporting events so far in 2022 but at the moment have exactly zero future sporting events scheduled. For the remainder of 2022 I may go to one Canadiens game and I will definitely go to the ISU event here at the end of October.

No comments: