Thursday, January 19, 2023

forget the cheese

My father-in-law, about 75 years old, was told earlier this week that he has terminal lung cancer.

He is taking this extremely pragmatically, figuring that any years after this one or next, without the cancer, would just be downhill health-wise. Also, he sees that the 6-12 months he has left is a gift that allows him to casually wind up everything that needs winding. I overheard him explaining this to a friend that he was talking to over the phone; at the moment the doctor told him the news he was totally fine with the news and didn't bother with any questions apart from asking about do-not-resuscitate.

I went to my in-law's house last night for supper, this is how I came to know about this.

I hope that if ever I find myself in a similar situation I can take such news with equal equanimity.

No comments: