Sunday, March 03, 2024

image

It has taken 18520 days for me to receive my first and I hope last dog bite. As I do not own a car I am often walking to get to and from wherever it is I am going. On the walk home from church this morning I passed a man walking his dog; this is not an uncommon occurrence as many people are walking their dog at all hours and so often I cross them. The dog looked tame enough as I passed, but the leash was loose and as I passed, the dog attacked me and bit the back of my left leg, fortunately only once.

Soon after taking the photo I washed that part of me with soap; it is still irritating at the moment but I expect that to diminish over time,

There have been news stories across North America over the last decade of the occasional attack that is far more devastating, with people having their faces mauled, or arms broken open, or neck torn at. I am glad that this is all that happened, and can remotely sympathize with those others who were very much more damaged.

I do not know if there is a protocol for me to have dealt with that dog owner in that moment, but as I am conflict averse, I just continued on my walk home.

No comments: