Sunday, March 31, 2024

unrelated to the trip to

Friday morning I walked to Hema-Quebec for a plasma donation; the nurse in training that took my details was practically disbelievingly uncertain that my walk of 70 minutes is something she could/would do. Everything went smoothly up to and including when they put the needle into my arm and the machine that does the apheresis kicks in. Perhaps two minutes later one of the discs that spins which helps to push the blood that has come out of me into the spinning cannister ceased spinning. I alerted them to this and soon enough three of the nurses were there to try to see what could be done; they had to undo the Allen key screw, pull the disc out, put the plastic tube in place and try to put the disc back only it was being finicky, so then another nurse took over. Once that was settled the machine was beeping as there was a problem that given the amount of time that had passed and no plasma had been extracted that it perceived a problem. The instructor nurse figured it out - to first do a return cycle back into me, and then start anew as if it was at the very start, and this worked. I completed the donation as expected with no problems, and then walked back home.

On the walk there and back I counted exactly zero squirrels which seemed to me at the time to be very peculiar. I did, however, hear and see a large number of birds of quite a variety, including crows, sea gulls, robins, cardinals, blue jays, sparrows, mourning doves, Canada geese (high over head), red-winged black birds and I got reasonably close to a mostly black bird that had bits of blue and green only in the upper part of its wing. Of all of these the robins were the most audacious, often on the suburban lawns not far from the road and not scurrying away at my distantly perceived arrival.

Saturday I was hoping to watch the Miami Open Women's Singles Final between Elena Rybakina and Danielle Collins. I was about as disappointed as I ever get that TSN did not show it. The women's singles semi-finals, quarter-finals and earlier rounds were all shown, so why not the final? 

Saturday night was the Easter Vigil mass at my church, a long and complicated celebration. This morning was Easter Sunday mass and there were a lot of unfamiliar C&Es there. 

When I got home I found this guy hanging out on the upper part of the side of my kitchen sink:


I do not know what kind of bug this is; but it has been hanging out in my kitchen for the last few days, mostly in positions that didn't bother me.

Shortly I will be leaving to go to my mother-in-law's house to watch the Miami Open Men's Singles Final between Jannik Sinner and Grigor Dimitrov; the former Italian the latter, you guessed it, Bulgarian. I made certain with her over the phone that she was able to get it on her TV as I know that I can get it on mine as TSN is gladly showing much more men's tennis than women's.

No comments: