Tuesday, March 05, 2019

Drink up, the soup is blocked

For the first time in ages I visited my municipal library this past weekend. I first checked out the 'New Arrivals' area where certain books are highlighted and not any of the three dozen or so seemed to have caught my interest.

So then I wandered through the stacks, Science Fiction, Fiction, Non-Fiction, Biographies, etc. Up and down I went, occasionally pulling a random book off a shelf, reading the back cover, or, the inside flaps. I picked out a Steven Gould book about Jumpers. It seems there are some number of books by him in this Jumper world, but the library did not seem to have the first one which would have introduced me into this universe of his. So I put it back and wandered some more. I began to get restless, that I couldn't come up with a decision, so I went back to the Steven Gould books, of which there were four, and grabbed two of them.

'Helm' was the first one, roughly 380 pages, and I read it in two days. I guess you can say it was easy to read and rather engaging. The second one is called 'Exo' which is the second book about the main character 'Cent'. I will start it tonight or tomorrow.

On my next trip to the library I may do a bit of research first; look at short listed Giller Prize books, or other award lists.

No comments: