who else knows what?
So with COP26 winding down now, most reports are indicating this was a tiny incremental improvement where bold large changes were needed. I am disappointed in my own country's response with respect to a few specific items.
- No commitment to cease funding fossil fuel companies
- Not enough commitment to paying our appropriate share of the 100B$ to developing countries who really need the help
- Not accelerating the price increase of the carbon tax
- Not having a detailed plan as to how, logistically and through specific policies, we can electrify transportation (cars, buses, trains, trucks, etc.) by the year 2035
Walking around I still see thousands of single passenger automotive vehicles driving all around in my mostly car dependent neighbourhoods. Yes, more and more of them are electric and so zero emissions; a result of my province's generous ongoing subsidy for vehicle electrification.
When I see these people in their cars, and given I've been successfully carless since 2018; how can these people not understand that we need to severely curtail our use of fossil fuels? Where are all of these people driving to/from? Do they really need to be driving?
Anyhow; I know I just bought airfare to get to and from Orlando this coming May for a cruise I'm going on, so that alone is a huge chunk of GHG emissions, huge at least in comparison to how else I emit through my actions and purchases. I will research what is the best way for me to offset these flights.
1 comment:
I am also disappointed in our country. We are one of the worst global actors, and will be affected more significantly than other countries with climate disasters.
Don't be too hard on yourself about the GHG from the trip. It's big institutions that need to make change. We have very small leverage at individual levels (except grassroots movements like divestment which are gaining traction). We need a grassroots driven tipping point. It may not happen here but maybe Canada will react when it comes.
Post a Comment