Tuesday, June 28, 2022

two times two is parenthetical too

When a Blue Jay is calling, just outside the windows of my apartment, it is a very distinct sound that, if I was a nematode, I probably wouldn't notice or care too much about it.

When a nematode is just outside of my apartment, in the ground doing what nematodes do, I would highly doubt it would be aware of the muons that occasionally pass through it at high speed.

We as people certainly don't notice.

I won't question what the muon is able to recognize from its source somewhere many light years away to its final destination embedded in the rocky crust of our planet.

Blue Jays have an average length of about 25cm and mass of 80g.

Nematodes are typically about 50 µm thick, and 1.5 mm long

Muons have a mass about 207 times that of an electron 

1 comment:

moof said...

the world must look like an entirely different place to a blue jay, a nematode, or a muon (assuming muons and nemotades have a way of sensing the world through something like sight, but I'm being literal in my phrasing).

I'm considering populating my lawn and garden with nematodes. maybe next year.