box kite frog joke
Book group tonight; two guys of which I am one, all other are women. Inner critic - wow, the women, all of them commiserating how difficult it is to live with their inner critic. Other guy voices he doesn't think he has one; I silently agree that I don't seem to have one either.
There is no voice within me telling me that I am insufficient, or that I ought to react in a revengeful way, or that I am an imposter, or that I ought to be better.
One of the women mentioned how there is always a gap between the thing that happened and the response we give to it but that she is sometimes unable to jump into that gap to pick a response, and instead, allows immediate amygdala control to supercede any frontal lobe response. I on the other hand have widened that gap such that it is omnipresent.
1 comment:
The comment about the gap resonates with me and I'm working on it right now. The gap between the event and the response is the most important thing to learn how to notice and stop oneself. An omnipresent gap is not something that has occurred to me as an option or possibility. Perhaps we should each strive to create such a thing--I think you are lucky/skilled in this area.
Post a Comment