Monday, August 31, 2026

Mutek

I attended the last two days of free outdoor shows of the Mutek festival. Mutek has interactive electronic art installations, paid shows at venues, and free shows. The free shows were artists who use electronic music production in a live format.


Some of the sounds produced were soundscapes evoking a different place or time while others would then add a rhythm that was good, and then at other times an aryhthmic beat, and still other times multiple tempo sounds.

One was a guy on drums who added all sorts of non drum percussion sounds to his kit that he kept switching around. Two were women who using their microphone would sing out vowel sounds to append their voice to the music they were producing, and the last one I saw was a duo that made mostly danceable ryhthmic electronic music. 

I recorded video shorts of all of the ones I attended, and instead of putting the videos in this post, I will just link to the playlist of my Mutek 2026 experience.

I quite enjoyed attending, so I will make an effort next year to go to more of the performances. On the Friday and Saturday night they have experiences that go extremely late, like to 4 or 6AM the next morning. I will see if I can prepare in advance to try going to such an experience just to see what it is like.

No comments: