Wednesday, January 17, 2018

when a meritocracy smells like skunk residue

The Winter Olympics are 23 days away from starting. I am an Olympics junkie.

I am really hoping to get myself to Tokyo in 2020 for the Summer Olympics. It will take considerable planning and expense to do so.

In terms of the winter Olympics, I'm not really attached to any one sport in particular. If I was to go, I'd probably want to take in a large number of the sports, each, only one or two times.

Curling, go two or three times.
Ice Hockey, go two or three times.
Speed Skating and Figure skating, two times.
Once each for any of the rest.

I think the most expensive ticket would be for the opening ceremonies. A single ticket for opening ceremonies in the second most expensive seat area, which is still way high up, would be about 936$. Going to the Women's Finals curling event would be 175$.

Going to a speed skating event, 293$.

I found a Canadian ticket supplier and found that for between five and eight thousand dollars, a package can be created granting access to the opening ceremonies, a bunch of events, hotel and airfare. I just wonder if booking the tickets separately and getting an AirBNB would make sense, or does this package make it simpler. The issue with the package is that I would be booked into a hotel, where as in an AirBNB I'd have a kitchen. With respect to the whole package, however, saving money on food would represent only a small percentage. So maybe the package would be the way to go as it would greatly simplify the planning.

I'll keep an eye out on the Tokyo 2020 website to see when there are packages for that. Ideally I share this with someone else who would go with me; but it will be tough to convince someone to travel with me for 5-8 thousand dollars unless they are also really into attending the Olympics.

No comments: