Thursday, March 22, 2018

like a load of loads

Took the 405 from stop 57789 this morning and saw a familiar bus driver.

Sat near the rear of the bus and at a subsequent stop a pretty woman sat near me. Not to be a letch I only glanced at her as she passed me to get to her seat. Twenty-seven minutes later we ended up getting off the bus next to each other where I had the opportunity to let her pass first. She was fleetingly, momentarily grateful. That was the end of that.

Moments like these in the world of public transit happen with a certain regularity. One is a witness to civil and polite behaviour almost all of the time. Occasionally, rarely, there are transiters who are neither civil nor polite; but I've been fortunate and have not experienced such people often in the last 1200 transit trips.

Not too long ago I did happen to have someone sit next to me who was quite civil, but who had an offensive odour that required me to, soon after he sat beside me, move away from him.

I am becoming disenamoured with being a driver and driving a vehicle. The state of the roads in my city is abhorrent with numerous holes that are jarring. Those holes are equally jarring when I ride the bus, however, it is not my vehicle that is being so punished. Traffic, snow conditions in the winter and other driver's haphazard driving are other reasons why I want to leave the world of driving. I haven't yet used an Uber, but I suspect when I am ready to get rid of my vehicle, I'll be signing up for that.

There are other car-sharing services that I might also consider to allow for those occasional moments where having a car would be very helpful.

Mostly I would stick to transit, however, as that is a really easy way to get around in my city.

No comments: