Friday, December 06, 2019

30 years

It was this day, 30 years ago that an assailant killed 14 women at École Polytechnique de Montréal. At the time I was still in high school and wasn't looking far enough ahead yet to know that I would eventually end up as an engineering student myself. Once I entered engineering at university I saw that maybe only 5% of students were female. So on the first anniversary of this event that took place once I was in university; this is where it really struck me at how terrible the whole thing was. As a high school student I didn't really grok it very well.

The change that took place on this 30th anniversary is to no longer refer to this as the shooting of 6 December 1989, but to further indicate it was an anti-feminist mass shooting.

Though none of the families of these 14 women will likely ever visit this blog, my thoughts and prayers are with them on this grim anniversary.

No comments: