Tuesday, June 16, 2020

vin vino wine wino

Thinking about making my own wine.

I'm not exactly equipped for this; living in an apartment does have its problems.

The cost per bottle is really quite reasonable once you have the first fermenter, the glass carboy and all of the other supplies required. In my apartment the place I am thinking of making use is a hallway that is only one meter wide. I would need a table that is about one meter wide and 40cm deep at a working height that makes it easy to see into the fermenter. I would also need to get a better light source above the work table and I'm not certain how I would do that.

I do not see how I can buy a work table strong enough to support 23L of liquid in a glass carboy plus supplies that fit these dimensions, so I would have to make one. I do not believe I have all that is needed in terms of tools to make one. It is possible I can get what I need pre-cut from the Home Depot store. Then I would just assemble it here in my apartment. The tricky part is that the floor is likely not exactly level - the legs of the work table that are against the wall will likely be shorter than the legs in the front. Actually, I just checked using a level I have and the floor looks like it may be level enough that I can simply make each of the four legs of equal length; then the level-ness of the table top will be within an acceptable margin.

So, four legs, four cross pieces, one table top. For the table top I am thinking 5/8" plywood possibly topped with a separate sheet of plexiglass or something. Alternatively, I stain the plywood to make it wine stain proof. Whatever I do to the table top, I would have an equivalent panel on the back wall attached to the table top so that any splashes during the wine making do not get to the wall itself.

Then the starter equipment kit, then the wine kit.

I think the starter kit would probably be about 200$, the wine kit about 100$, the table, perhaps 50$.

I will continue to think about this.

2 comments:

The Archmage of the Aether said...

Hey there. I've been watching dad make the basement kit wine for about thirty years, it can be lovely, the only problem with the wines is they're for relatively quick consumption (like, within the year).

The only reasons you'd need to keep the glass carboy on a table, would be 1. to keep it off the floor, to better maintain a consistent temperature, and 2. for a gravity assist while filtering and bottling. Though for filtering, dad got an old fridge compressor from the recycling centre for $2, and made gravity a bit stone-aged.

Phil Plasma said...

I'd put the glass carboy on the floor while it is finishing off the fermenting, the second phase after primary fermenting.