Saturday, July 25, 2020

another long walk

So like I mentioned in my last one, I was planning to do the same one in reverse, and this is what I did.

I had calculated that the first 211 bus to take me home would leave at 6h05 and so I reverse calculated the time I was to leave and left at just before 1h15. This ended up being a mistake as the sun is rising later now and still some of those mansions in Senneville were in the dark when I got to them.

Even before my walk left Pointe-Claire I encountered my first nocturnal animal (a skunk) and my first other night walkers (a couple walking east on Donegani as I was walking west).
Instead of walking Donegani to Elm to boul St-Charles, I walked Donegani to Elm to Beacon Hill to Creswell to boul St-Charles.



In that Beaconhill Creswell section I saw four more nocturnal animals (a rabbit, a skunk and a parent and child raccoon together) and two more night walkers (another couple).

I do not think in past walks on boul St-Charles I ever captured the crossing of Kirkland:

And then soon enough later I crossed hwy 40 which was very low on traffic.


On my last walk I got a great sun rise photo of the REM elevated track support; here it is at night:

The walk north on boul St-Charles to Gouin was bereft of nocturnal animals, but I did see three other night walkers (a single, and a couple, all walking on the south direction side of boul St-Charles while I walked on the north direction side).

Once I turned west on Gouin I noticed three rather prominent stars. Using my Skymap app I found they were Vega, Deneb and Altair. I did not know this, but even though each of these stars are each part of different constellations, the three of them together are known as the Summer Triangle.

That night I also, using the Skymap app, happened to see Jupiter at the beginning part of the walk; it descended below the horizon by the end. I also saw both Mars and Venus, and here is a shot of Venus as the light from our sun is just barely starting to show itself.

Venus was behind me as I was walking at that part of the walk.

Then I passed the Cap St-Jacques Park, and the l'Anse à l'Orme street and finally my first evidence of being on Senneville street.



A little bit before I took the next photo I came across my next nocturnal animal, it was a skunk that was in the middle of the street that didn't really notice me coming until rather late, and then it didn't really react, so I skooted by it very carefully.

Combining a curve in the road plus the movement of Venus through the sky, it became visible to my left through the trees.

Many of the houses in the early stretch of Senneville road walking in the direction have gates. The first photo shows two lit lions guarding this gate. The following two are photos of some houses that were behind some walls that separate them from the street. You can see that I arrived in the neighbourhood too early; it is too dark.



Venus was still with me on the left, here you can see the sky is starting to lighten.

Then I crossed hyw 40 again and a little bit later now that it was lighter, I was able to capture one of the houses.


And then it was turn right on Rue St-Anne which took me all the way to the bus stop on the grounds of John Abbott College.


Google Maps said it would take 4h45 to walk that distance, I walked it in 4h15, so I ended up having to wait for the bus. That wasn't a big deal, there was a place for me to sit at the bus stop to give my knees and ankles a break.

I may come back and do this one again, paying closer attention to when the sun rises; but I think I'll do a different one before I do this one again.

No comments: