Thursday, October 22, 2020

uphill bowling

There is movement, early to tell if it will be at all effective, of breaking up the tech behemoths.

I can see FB being broken of Insta, and perhaps FB Market being broken away from FB. I'm not really an FB user so I don't know what else could be done.

I can see Amz being broken into a video streaming service, a market, a separate distribution system and a separate web services company.

I can see G being broken into a search, separated from it, an ad company, separate from it a market for software (gmail, android, g-office, etc.), separate from it a product company (pixel) and of course u-tube separates.

I can see apple being broken into physical products (mobile devices, macbooks), separate from market for software (ios, app store, etc.). I'm not familiar enough with apple to know how else it could be broken up.

The argument is that the will to innovate diminishes once monopolies form and focus more on obtaining 100% market share. If these tech behemoths are reduced from four companies to twenty smaller ones, this would allow for deeper competition with other smaller players where then consumer choice would pick the winner, rather than the behemoth offering only what they have.

No comments: