Monday, May 03, 2021

AZ in me

I did like I suggested in my previous post to check to see when the next available appointments were at my closest, most convenient place and they were already two weeks and a bit later than my already booked appointment at a less convenient place.

So, today I got AZ put in me.

I walked V8 to school and then 40m away entered the church, into the basement where I waited about 23 minutes to then start playing table tennis with the priest. We ended at about 8h56 and knowing that the bus would be a while, I took my time and walked to the bus stop; the 204 bus picked me up at 9h24. Where it left me off I had to walk about 1200m to Costco in a not very pedestrian friendly part of town. I wandered around Costco for a bit as my appointment was for 10h20 and I got there at 9h54.

At 10h11 I went to the pharmacy within the Costco, gave the nice lady my medicare card; she found me in the system on the laptop she had in front of her; she asked me a handful of questions for things like 'do you have any symptoms currently, have you been near anyone affected' and so on. The nurse was already ready for me (not any longer with whoever was previous to me) and so immediately I was brought into the back room of the pharmacy.

She told me a few things, like 1 out of 100,000 can possibly experience blood clots; that after the vaccination I could have some side effects, and that if I have severe headaches or shortness of breath I should seek emergency help, but otherwise I may just have low level fever, headache, some amount of fatigue but that these would pass in short order.

After the spiel she asked me which arm she was to inject, I indicated I had no preference, so she took the one most convenient for where she and I were relative to each other and put my first Astra Zeneca jab into my right arm in the deltoid after having briefly disinfected it with a swab and alcohol.

I then waited in a small waiting area just adjacent to and outside of the pharmacy for 15 minutes, walked over to the transit terminal in the shopping mall, waited 18 minutes and then took the 203 bus home.

At home I took some acetaminophen as I had already started to feel the slightest of headaches beginning and I figured since this was fully expected there would be no reason to not kick off the pain killer immediately.

I was verbally told at the pharmacy that my next appointment would be August 23rd, and when I got home I saw that I had received an email confirming this; the same time of day at the same location.

Given the volume of vaccines entering into Canada over the next few months, there is a possibility that my second dose time may get advanced; but there is no way to be certain of this now.  

No comments: