Saturday, December 10, 2022

image

Continuing with the new mobile device camera, I was curious to see what could be done in terms of astrophotography and my first attempt was to capture the moon, since it is was just a day (night) after it being full that I had the opportunity.

If I had a tripod, it is possible I'd have been better able, but all I got was a blob as you can see above.

I decided that maybe, since the almost full moon at this time of year is outside my bedroom window at dawn, to try again this time with a sky that is not pitch black. I took this photo which was not as zoomed in:
A double of the moon can be seen to the bottom right; this is because I took the photo through a window and the window made this effect. If I was taking this dawn photo in July instead of December, I would go out on my balcony to take the photo.

I cropped the above photo to get this one:
The edges around the circumference are a bit blurry, but overall I'm pretty pleased with how this turned out without a tripod and without knowing much yet about how to get the best use of the cameras on this device.

I'd like to continue with my astrophotography to take photos of a few constellations, the Summer Triangle, and even though they'd still just be pinpoints of light, Capella, Deneb, Altair, Arcturus, Jupiter, Mars and any other prominent stars or planets that I am able to recognize. It will just be tricky as the device doesn't like the cold and this time of year with the long night hours also happens to be the coldest time of year.

No comments: