Tuesday, August 10, 2021

when all else fails, tie a

On Sunday (two days ago) I went to the National Bank Open (previously known as the Rogers Cup) to watch some tennis matches. On Sunday it was the second day of qualifying rounds where unseeded players trying to work their way up play against each other to earn a spot into the first round of the actual tournament.

Today I have tickets I already purchased to attend the early session and the evening session. The early session starts at 11h and so I will be leaving in the next half hour to catch the train to get there. The second session starts at 19h and the first match at that time involves Bianca Andreescu against one of those preliminarily qualified players from the weekend. Bianca is the current top player in Canada and won the US Open in 2019. Unfortunately, there is a risk of a thunderstorm this evening which may interrupt the evening session.

On Sunday I packed quite a bit to bring with me and it turns out I made use of almost everything I packed. The only thing I didn't use was the umbrella - there was a chance of rain that day, but it did not end up raining. In addition to the umbrella, here are the other things I've packed:

  • portable battery and charging cable to recharge my mobile device
  • small set of binoculars
  • sunscreen
  • a filled water bottle
  • a book to read
  • credit card, transit card and keys; the former to pay for food, the middle to get there and back and the latter to get back into my apartment

I took a few photos of the mostly empty stadium on Sunday, however, I didn't notice at the time that the lens on the back of my mobile device was smudged and so the photos did not turn out very well. I'll do better with my photos today.

No comments: