Friday, May 20, 2022

when all else melts

At Alorica we could only chat on Teams.

At WK, we create a group call in Teams and we speak in person; cameras off. There are about seven of us and the number of incoming calls at the moment is quite low, so if a call comes in, the next queued agent leaves our group call and takes the incoming call while the rest of us carry on. That person eventually rejoins.

All of my compatriots are natural French speakers who also happen to speak English well enough to service our customers. I, on the other hand, am a natural English speaker who happens to speak French well enough to service our customers. So while I understand all of the conversation that happens, I only contribute a small percent of the time if I find I really have something to chime in with. I am not skilled enough in speaking French to be a story-teller in that language. It doesn't help that in groups this large, even in English I am a reticent story-teller.

No comments: