Monday, July 20, 2026

Nuits D'Afrique review

There was a lot of mentioning that it was the 40th anniversary, which is pretty impressive that this festival has been running this long. I enjoyed it enough that I will attend again in the future. There were a few rap bands that I would perhaps be more aware of and skip as that isn't music to my liking.


There are food offerings from a variety of different African and South American countries or regions throughout the grounds of the festival; in a future year I will see about trying out the food at each of them over the days of the festival.

One technical issue is that of the two main stages, the Scene Loto did not have small audience facing speakers at the front of the stage facing the audience. This meant that for those of us right up front we did not hear as well any of the electronic sounds (like electric guitar or keyboards) but did hear very clearly any percussion or brass. This made it so that the balance of the sound wasn't great being right up close to the stage. The TD stage did have those front speakers, so it was okay to be near the front.

As the shows alternated between the two stages, I would leave a show 10-20 minutes early, depending on how much I was enjoying the show, to then go to the other stage to be at the front. For the last show that started at 20h15, I would stay until the end (if I liked the performance) as there were no more shows at the opposite stage.

The Just for Laughs comedy festival is in full swing now with many paid show events, however, there have been outdoor free shows this past weekend for French speaking comedians, and this coming weekend there are free shows for English speaking comedians, so I will attend for that.

No comments: