Sunday, December 06, 2015

cryogenically syncopated to the rule of thumb

I had rehearsed a sequence of Steven Wright one-liners to perform as a stand-up comedian at our work Christmas Party talent show that happened yesterday.

I thought I had it down pretty good, at least the first three minutes of it and then the last minute was a bit rough, but I figured I would be able to manage it.

When it was my turn and the bright lights were on me and there were 220 people watching, waiting and listening, I did not remember the sequence apart from the first three jokes. I think what impacted me the most was the response I got from the audience, I got a good to great response from them for about 90% of the jokes I told. So I ended up skipping around and still managed to tell about two or maybe three minutes worth.

The whole thing was filmed (along with most of the evening other parts) and hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on the video of my performance.

I got a lot of feedback later on in the night from people who were really impressed with what I done and how well it had gone. A few told me that my time as part of the talent show was the best one of all of the other 'performers'. One or two also said that I had missed my calling - that I should be a comedian rather than a technical support worker.

This is something I had been wanting to do for quite a few years and finally I managed to do it. I'm glad it worked out so well. There may be some expectations that I do it again at next year's Christmas Party, but I don't know about that. I haven't yet a vision for it.

No comments: